Monday, June 21, 2010

A Wrinkle In Time

When I first noticed that A Wrinkle In Time was on the syllabus, I was interested to see how a children’s novel would fit in with the other books in the text. Having already read it in elementary school, I was curious to see if I enjoyed it any better the second time around. As a child, I never enjoyed books by Madeleine L'Engle. This time around my opinion, unfortunately, hasn’t changed.

Throughout the entire novel I just wanted to be finished. It can’t put my finger on exactly what bothers me about this book. The writing style, as to be expected, is simple. But that didn’t bother me. The story line was rather creative, but I found the explanations for the supernatural to be rather vague. In a time of the supernatural taking over popularity in tv shows, movies and novels maybe the fact that every little detail wasn’t clearly explained I became frustrated. I would say it isn’t as important because it’s a children’s novel, but realistically that isn’t fair because there are other children’s books that break down every little thing to ensure all readers are entertained by the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment